Friday, July 17, 2009

The Search for Germany's Next Top Döner: Sofra Döner


The next stop on my search for the best Döner kebab around was Sofra Döner (Biegenstr. 1, in the not-so-historic Lahn Center), which came highly recommended. I had a Kalbfleischdöner mit Käse, alles drauf, mit Joghurtsose und ein bisschen Scharf. (I wanted a Hänchendöner, but they had just run out of chicken, so I had to settle for what I think is...veal?) The owner and her daughter appeared to be the only ones working, but they were both very friendly. The owner even offered me a free cup of tea. And unlike in some kebab shops, since I was eating my Döner there, I didn't have to pay until I was done. Overall, I feel like I've had better Döners elsewhere, but the staff is really nice and very approachable. (Many Döner shops make me feel like I'm ordering from the Soup Nazi. It can be very intimidating.) Definitely a good place for a Döner, and when you're done you can have a coffee at Tapas and Co., a nice little cafe with free wireless internet.

Waiting time: 5 minutes
Service: Very good. Mother + daughter were incredibly friendly, and appeared to know many of the people who walked by.
Price:
€5,80 for a Kalbfleischdöner + a mineral water.
Size of Kebab: On the small side for the price you pay.
Meat Quality:
Very good. Their Hänchendöner are also quite tasty (and not too dry!). However, the amount of meat was disappointing.
Toppings: So-so. The toppings weren't falling out of the pita, so eating the kebab was actually manageable. However, the toppings themselves were unfortunately proportioned: lots of lettuce and onions, but very little red cabbage, tomatoes, etc.
Sauce:
Joghurtsose - a bit bland. Perhaps the garlic sauce is the way to go.
Overall impression: I probably won't stay away long, given the great location and friendly staff, but I think the Döner connaisseur could do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment